Generic Bundling

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 07:07:19 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Jeremy Darling <jeremy.darling at gmail.com>wrote:

> HTTP 2.0 will require changes to servers for it to work properly, it will
> also require that developers learn a bit more about the pipeline or rely on
> some vendor to implement the "smarts" for them.
>
> Asset Bundling on the other hand will provide a quick and easy transition
> for most development communities.  Compress everything, update your ref's
> and wait for the browsers to catch up, or for your server dev team to work
> out push.
>
> You could still push your asset bundle with HTTP 2.0 and achieve basically
> the same results as if you bundled all the assets and sent them down the
> pipe with HTTP 2.0.
>
> I don't see them as foe's or alternatives to one another.  Quite to the
> opposite, they seem to compliment each other quite well.

Well, just so I understand - let's say you have 100 JavaScript files you
want in your bundle. Can you explain to me the strategy for handling the
fallback unsupported case? Does the bundle contain module based code
assuming es6 and the fallback is all es5 code using traceur or something?
Just trying to get a vision for this.

- Russ