Generic Bundling

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 04:23:50 PDT 2013

Le 11/10/2013 12:46, Jorge Chamorro a écrit :
> On 11/10/2013, at 12:02, David Bruant wrote:
>
>> Providing a zip in the manifest file could work, but I'm not sure I see the benefit over individual files. Disk fragmentation issues maybe?
> One benefit is that a single .zip can fetch a bunch of files in a single network round trip.
The manifest file was in response to Andrea's point about packaged app
(where he pointed that network requests aren't the only use case), so
network round trips don't apply.

> Another is than once the .zip has been unzipped, its files can be accessed synchronously.
If we're back on the network use case, server push has the same benefits
(resource bundling and in-memory availability)... and saves a network
round-trip since the resources come along!

I highly recommend reading
http://www.igvita.com/2013/06/12/innovating-with-http-2.0-server-push/
(which is the best resource I've found on server push so far).
If you prefer video form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46exugLbGFI&list=PLS3jzvALRSe6uP9gVfXLCG6nWo7M0hAJY&index=2
(start at 9'00'' for HTTP 2.0 and 11'00'' for server push)

David