How is let compatibility resolved?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 2 09:58:21 PDT 2013

It would be easier if we had the other let-specific special forms,
wouldn't it?

ES6 draft makes let a reserved identifier. This is not backward
compatible, but we're trying to find out what we can get away with. The
fallback if we can't reserve is to do what we will do with 'yield (not
yet done in current drafts): contextually reserve via parameterized
productions, so that in strict code and in module bodies, you can use
'let' to declare (and in generator functions you can use 'yield' as the
operator).

/be