The Paradox of Partial Parametricity

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Mon May 27 07:29:12 PDT 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Russell Leggett wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry if I have just missed it trying to keep up to date, but what
>> are the compelling use cases.
>>

> AsyncTable with promises as values.
>
> No name mangling. I prefer then and chain. One more method doesn't break
> anyone's brain, in view of the acknowledged {value: x}
> manual-wrapping/unwrapping alternative.

I'm just going to go ahead and play stupid here. Why is it called chain? I
agree one more method doesn't break anyone's brain, but I think the
confusion comes when it is not clear what a method is for and when they
should use it. Can anyone just try to write a really quick API doc for
chain so that someone without knowledge of monads could read it? It should
hopefully be fairly obvious after reading the doc why the method is called
chain.