Non-generic traps for non-generic objects (was: Overriding Map/etc with get/set hooks?)

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri May 24 14:08:16 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Jason Orendorff
<jason.orendorff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Jason Orendorff
>> <jason.orendorff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Counterproposal: address this in WebIDL. Add a magic [Maplike] tag that
>> > means something like: [...]
>>
>> [...] It's not the *best* solution, because the easy magic is only there
>> for
>>
>> spec authors, but it's the best so far.
>

> I see your point. I think this is a case where spec authors definitely have
> a problem, but JS programmers will not sweat it that much.
>
> In JS it's just so easy:  https://gist.github.com/jorendorff/5645591

That's only "easy" because we can assume that authors will manually
adjust their code when we add more Map methods, or if they want to add
their *own* Map methods.  That's the exact thing I'm complaining
about, except that we can't assume that specs will get updated in this
way.

~TJ