Module naming and declarations

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 22 04:11:02 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Andreas Rossberg <rossberg at google.com> wrote:
> On 22 May 2013 12:55, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Andreas Rossberg wrote:
>>>
>>> I suppose you are right for ondemand, but it doesn't apply to the
>>> "configuring the loader to accept URL's" case Dave was alluding to,
>>> right?
>>

>> Finally I believe I've caught up and can jump in and answer: right! (Bracing
>> for impact!)
>>
>> However, the other way than ondemand to use a URL remains: <script src=...>.
>
> Doesn't really help, since you can't load a module file through a
> script tag.

I don't understand what you mean here.  A <script> tag can certainly
contain a module declaration.  That's a big advantage of having
syntactic support for module declarations.

> Also, script tags introduce staging, which Dave considers
> essential avoiding.

No, Dave's point is that _requiring_ staging is a bad idea.  Having
multiple script tags is a common practice, not a bad idea to be
avoided.

Sam