B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon May 20 14:55:40 PDT 2013

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> that's fine with what I am thinking/saying ... it's used as
> reflection, to intercept, or to trap, and not used to "do the action"
> of setting the prototype so `Object` is, and you confirmed this, a
> better place for `setPrototypeOf`

No, Brandon wrote:

"[for every meta-level operation], there is a corresponding function in
Reflect that does the default behavior for that [meta-level operation]".

Don't confuse proxy handler traps with Reflect.* methods. This is why
Tom asked whether we really need Object.setPrototypeOf, given the
identital (in behavior, could even be the same function object)
Reflect.setPrototypeOf.

This all needs to be discussed at this week's TC39 meeting. Allen, could
you please add it to the agenda.