Module naming and declarations

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Mon May 13 16:46:59 PDT 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Kevin Smith <zenparsing at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Put differently, controlling where and when code is bundled together is something that sophisticated web applications do often and sometimes at fine granularity, and it's done by experts at web development who shouldn't have to be experts at writing compilers or reading their output. Consider Eric Ferraiuolo's examples of servers making decisions to speculatively bundle additional modules in a response to a request. These are decisions that are about network efficiency, and they shouldn't have to deal with code transformations at the same time.
>
> While we wait for Andreas' response, I would like to simply point out (without judgement, for now) that this amounts to inventing a declarative programming construct to solve network efficiency issues.

That's just an outlandish statement, Kevin. I'm talking making a common refactoring semantically equivalent -- a refactoring that's well-motivated by a common use case: *programmers* solving their network efficiency issues by controlling which modules are loaded when. It's not some magical construct that automatically solves network issues.

Dave