yield* desugaring

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon May 13 16:22:41 PDT 2013

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> In my response to Andy I concluded that syntactically restricting yield to not be finally protected is the better solution.

It's a shame we have to around the block again. This was discussed over
six years ago, when we were prototyping for ES4 and studying Python 2.5.
Python started with that restriction and got rid of. So did we for ES4,
prototyped in SpiderMonkey and Rhino.

But the rationale based on finally being a strong guarantee is just
broken. No such guarantee, so no need for 'close'.

However (on top of a "But"), dropping close doesn't mean we should ban
yield in try.