"for-in", shadowing and deleting properties.

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu May 9 08:51:45 PDT 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 4:58 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:

> As for your other question, yeah, I think that "property" and
> "property with name" are used interchangeably in those parts of the
> spec.

My re-reading of of the ES5 language reconfirms that the distinct use of property and property name is very deliberate.  Let me know if any particular phrases seem ambiguous to you.
Where I think the language is somewhat sloppy is in making a distinction being the examination of a property by the algorithm and exposing the name of a property to user code.  "Visiting" might mean either of these depending upon the surrounding context.

One requirement that we agreed upon in the ES5 days was that a particular for-in loop should process any property name at most once. This was agreed upon even though we knew that some existing implementations violated  that requirement in some scenarios.  The language "A property name must not be visited more than once in any enumeration." was added as the statement of that requirement.  the use of "property name" was very deliberate in that context.

We also agreed that if a non-enumerable property of a particular name is encountered, then that name will not be "visited" even if it is encountered for an enumerable property higher on the prototype change. My interpretation of that requirement is that it even extends to the case where the non-enumerable property is subsequently deleted and then a enumerable property of the same name is added to a prototype that has not yet been examined.  Once a name has been determined to be non-enumerable, that determination can not change during an enumeration.

I've created an ES6 generator that I believe conforms to the intent of the ES5 spec: https://gist.github.com/allenwb/5548164
It is also permitted (not not required) to use an algorithm that was more aggressive about finding and yielding new property names that are added during the lifetime of the generator.

Allen