B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Jeff Walden jwalden+es at MIT.EDU
Wed May 8 16:37:52 PDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 04:10 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> Why would Object.setPrototypeOf have any better perf?

It wouldn't.

>>   developers will not intuitively understand, so that they're less likely to use it.  Some will, even still, perhaps just out of obstinacy ("pride",
>
> I think you missed that that was directed at TC39ers, not developers.

Some developers look at language specs, so spec position does provide meager influence that way.  Documentation authors are the likelier target.  They're going to look at specs to figure out what the methods do, to a much greater extent.  Positioning in Annex B and not in main flow sends a small message that something's different.  MDN documentation of octal syntax, for example, is only found in a deprecated/obsolete features page, for example.

>>   even, that they hacked their way to the tiniest solution :-) ).  But some will take a second look, learn the reasons it's undesirable, and not use it.
>
> And not use Object.setPrototypeOf?

Yup.  Everyone writing for the public non-mobile web has to do it now, it's not so bad.

Jeff