B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Wed May 8 10:17:00 PDT 2013

On May 8, 2013, at 8:46 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:

> On 8 May 2013 17:41, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 8, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
>>
>>> What about your triangle argument?
>>
>> There is another way:
>>
>> let obj = Object.setPrototypeOf({x:0, y:0}, pointProto};
>>
>> Let's keep {__proto__: foo} in the slightly  disrespectable  Annex B box.  That keeps it together with O.p.__proto and leaves room for future, more elegant object literal syntax extensions if we decided we really need them (and we probably won't).
>
> Isn't Object.create the proper alternative to both {__proto__: } and
> triangle for objects? What has setPrototypeOf got to do with it? (And
> why is that on the table all of a sudden?)

I think that Brandon Benvie adequated addressed Object.create.

Regarding setPrototypeOf, once Mark agreed that the [[protoSetter]] function did not need to be Realm restricted it essentially became a publicly available API for modify the [[Prototype]] of arbitrary objects.

      Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Object.prototype, "__proto__").set.call(obj, proto)

There is a vocal part of the JS community who would prefer that the core language also offer Object.setPrototypeOf as the preferred alternative to the above:

       Object.setPrototypeOf(obj,proto)

This is only a cosmetic difference. But I agree that it is good cosmetics. Dynamic prototype modification seems to have won as a required feature of the language.  Since that is the case, consistancy suggests that we should  treat it cosmetically just like all the dynamic reflection operations defined on Object.

Allen