__defineGetter__ returns

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Wed May 8 08:47:32 PDT 2013

Le 07/05/2013 18:30, Andrea Giammarchi a écrit :
> You did not answer my question Mark: what is the role of TC39, embrace
> "whatever non-standard crossbrowser thing" or filter ideas proposing
> better alternatives/solutions when necessary in order to have a solid
> foundation instead of having Object.defineProperty({get}) AND
> __defineGetter__ from the past?
>
> This is a concern of mine, and I'd like to hear a clear statement
> about this, thanks.
I'm not Mark and not part of TC39, but I'll give it a try.
I believe TC39 position is in between your 2 propositions. Aiming at
improving on a solid basis while still codefying de facto standards when
necessary (that is when it's in some implementations and other
implementors are pushed by content to implement it).

I don't get why you're being so hard on TC39. The WHATWG has been doing
*exactly* that for years now; looking at what several browsers implement
and is used in content and codifying it. Beyond the hype, large parts of
HTML5 are de facto standards.

David