B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Tue May 7 20:46:09 PDT 2013

Looks like a very clean solution. The only thing I’m not entirely convinced about is Object.setPrototypeOf()...

... given how one is normally discouraged from using such functionality (=__proto__ as a setter) and
... given that the most frequent use case goes away in ES6 (thanks to it allowing one to subclass built-ins).

Hence, honest question: Does it make sense to expose a new API for something that is mainly used for hacks? If you really needed it, you could retrieve it like this:

const mySetPrototypeOf = Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Object.prototype, '__proto__').set;
// mySetPrototypeOf.call(obj, aProto);
// Alternatively: mySetPrototypeOf = Function.prototype.call.bind(...)

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de