Module naming and declarations

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Tue May 7 17:01:43 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Jason Orendorff
<jason.orendorff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Set aside absolute-url imports. Suppose we just dropped them. Would you
> still think that module names are URLs? If so, do you think about other
> languages in the same way?

I think it's weird to try to equate JavaScript with those languages.
They operate on multiple platforms that do not share a universal
addressing system and therefore a layer of abstraction had to be
invented to make it easier to work those languages across multiple
platforms. JavaScript within a browser context operates on a single
platform that has a universal addressing system. And within that
platform there are multiple non-programming languages, such as HTML
and CSS, none of which support remapping URLs at the moment in a
manner as it is proposed here, although
https://github.com/slightlyoff/NavigationController/ will give that to
us soon(ish).

I guess that's another point I had not really thought of, the web
platform will get a way to execute some script at "fetch", which is
basically a low-level version of the module loader.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/