Module naming and declarations

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:52:14 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Kevin Smith <zenparsing at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we all understand the problem that you're trying to solve here,
> but aren't you putting the cart before the horse?  Can we not design the
> module system first, and then layer packages on top?  Do you not agree that
> that would be a more robust approach?

I don't think you get better design by declaring the most important part of
the problem off-limits while designing the first half of the solution, no.
That sounds like a surefire recipe for designing something that's pretty,
but fails to address the problems developers actually face.

Considerations of whether people will actually be able use this to share
code, and how it will support projects of various sizes, are very much on
topic. Nothing else in this conversation is as important.

-j