Module naming and declarations

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Tue May 7 11:49:17 PDT 2013

> If module names were URLs, that would definitely be the right thing.
>
> Module names aren't URLs, though. These aren't static links to static
> locations (for reasons discussed in this thread; e.g., it'd be
> counterproductive for backbone.js to have a static URL for underscore
> embedded in it).

Well, they're not URLs *except* when they are URLs - that's the problem.

And calling them "not URLs" is highly dubious in all cases.  Under the
smoke and mirrors, they are effectively locators just like any URL.  Just
locators that don't play nice with the rest of the web platform.

If you really want a flat namespace for inter-package dependency
resolution, then I think you'll want a custom URI scheme.

{ Kevin }