__defineGetter__ returns

Dean Landolt dean at deanlandolt.com
Tue May 7 09:09:19 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Dean Landolt <dean at deanlandolt.com>wrote:

>>> Of course to benefit platform compatibility, but that doesn't mean ES6
>>> (or ES.any) will standardize an obsolete feature alongside its superior
>>> replacement. ;)
>>>

>> So there's no need to standardize __proto__ then, eh? ;)
>>
>> </troll>
>>

> Perhaps you should actually read the existing discussion and meeting
> resolutions?

I read them religiously, along with es-discuss, and because of this I was
just noting the parallel in reasoning. But I was mostly joking -- note the
</troll> tag! :D

> __define|lookup(Getter|Setter)__ have already been standardized in the
> form of the superior Object.definePropert(y|ies) APIs. When the object meta
> APIs were specified, there was little support for the dunder APIs, which
> made it easier to kill them. Since then, __proto__ implementation has
> spread, which means it's _not_ easy to kill—which is why it's being
> standardized. Note that TC39 isn't specifying two different mechanisms
> either, ie. no setPrototypeOf.

TC39 already specifies the other dunders in Annex B. That's where I think
__proto__ belongs. See Mark's recent comment about setPrototypeOf in recent
posting -- no objection to setPrototypeOf is a pleasant surprise!