Module naming and declarations

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Wed May 1 07:18:26 PDT 2013

Some brief, general observations:

- Dave, your argument that URI's as a naming mechanism is a "failure"
cherry-picks cases where URIs were obviously overkill.  You have not shown
that URIs are overkill in this situation.  In order to do so, you would
need to posit a centralized naming authority, or a dependency management
system (e.g. package manager) with attendant dependency metadata.  Or else
you would need to show that for any reasonable selected subgraph of the
global module (really package) graph, the chance of name collision is
near-zero.

- To repeat my last argument, the module URL resolution semantics proposed
in this design (that strings such as "jquery" are resolved relative to some
base URL, and that a ".js" extension is added), can be coded in about 10
lines, by my guess.  Are we seriously to accept these sloppy semantics
should be the default for the web, for all time?  How is that anything but
a non-starter, given that it conflicts with all other resolution semantics
on the web?

- It seems that every response to Andreas comes with a new requirement for
modules that we have not yet seen on es-discuss.  How can we possibly have
a meaningful discussion of a solution when we don't even know what the
goals are?  Can someone provide a list of the requirements?

{ Kevin }