Weak event listener

Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 09:11:41 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Tom Van Cutsem <tomvc.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/3/26 Juan Ignacio Dopazo <dopazo.juan at gmail.com>
>
>> 2013/3/25 Erik Arvidsson <erik.arvidsson at gmail.com>
>>
>>> WeakMap would not work in this specific case since a WeakMap cannot be
>>> iteratered.
>>>

>> I thought there was an iterable WeakSet for ES6. Was it postponed to ES7
>> or just dropped?
>>

> I doubt there was ever an *iterable* WeakSet proposal, since iteration
> would make GC of the weakly held values observable. This is exactly the
> same reason why WeakMap isn't iterable.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

TC39 reached consensus on the inclusion of WeakSet, though it needs to be
designed:
https://github.com/rwldrn/tc39-notes/blob/master/es6/2012-09/sept-19.md#weakset

Mark Miller proposed semantics for WeakRefs to satisfy security concerns:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-January/028542.html

Both of these should be discussed at the next meeting.

Rick