Upcoming talk on ES6 in Russia

denom jim.feedback at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 11:11:10 PDT 2013

Hello Dr. Rauschmayer,

Could you plase explain how the slide #23."Object literals" comes in
alingment with slide #7."Challenges of evolving a web language" where it
is written "Preserve nature of JavaScript" ?

The method definitions presenteed on #23 voided anything that JavaScript
Object Notation stands for which I consider it is indeed a basic
building block of JavaScript and no nature preserved here. A mixture of
named fucntions, voidance of key/value pairs, and property values
shorthand seems like a soup of a little bit of everything and a soup was
never a good friend of maintenability of the code. This is monsterous.

I see lots of drafts and proposals tend to be from people used to write
C(*)/Java or CoffeeScript which is adopted only by a small subset of
JavaScript developers who are mainly Rubyists. The fact that some things
seem to them as 'acceptable' doesn't mean that comfort with the
JavaScript standards and conventions. JavaScript,like all other
languages, is not a language to that fits to everyone.

Best regards,
Dimitris K.