Mutable Proto

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 12:22:57 PDT 2013

Le 20/03/2013 19:04, Andrea Giammarchi a écrit :
> I don't understand where is the problem ... any library that uses
> __proto__ can and should be updated with a shim waiting for next
> version of JS to support it.
Which library? What are the inconsistencies between the current
__proto__ draft spec and how libraries use __proto__ today? Please be
very specific; that's quite relevant when doing a de facto standard so
it's important to know.

> Object.setPrototypeOf = function (object, proto) {
> object.__proto__ = proto;
>   return object;
> };
>
> That does not look bad at all to me, educate developers out there that
> __proto__ is harmful and forbidden 'cause saying "we can't do much is
> already used" doesn't mean is OK to use it, same as polluting
> Object.prototype, still possible, nobody does it (not in an old
> fashioned way at least)
What's your point here?
I don't understand why Object.setPrototypeOf should be added or shimmed
if the best practice is to avoid using __proto__.

David