On Scope And Prototype Security

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 15:43:13 PDT 2013

since I wrote about it, the IE5 example ...

-------------------

var Puppet = function (Object) {
  var
    freeze = Object.freeze || Object,
    master = Master.prototype;
  function Master() {}
  function Puppet() {
    freeze(this);
  }
  master.constructor = Puppet;
  Puppet.prototype = new Master;

  // for testing sake
  setTimeout(function(){
    master.name = 'puppet';
  }, 0);

  return Puppet;
}(Object);

var o = new Puppet,
    output = [o.name];

o.name = 'master';
output.push(o.name);

setTimeout(function () {
  output.push(o.name);
  alert(output.join('\n'));
  // undefined
  // undefined
  // "puppet"
}, 10);

If freeze is not available in IE5 it does not actually really matter. The
point/concept is about having an hidden prototype.

br