a future caller alternative ?

Brandon Benvie bbenvie at mozilla.com
Mon Mar 11 12:56:59 PDT 2013

On 3/11/2013 12:41 PM, Kevin Reid wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Andrea Giammarchi
> <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com <mailto:andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Yes, taking care of all those things is necessary as well. ES5
> provides us the tools to do so: Object.freeze(). If you recursively
> freeze all standard global objects then all of the issues you mention
> are handled. Secure ECMAScript (SES), developed by Mark Miller, does
> this; it provides an execution environment which _is_ secure (given a
> sufficiently conformant ES5 implementation).

I would note, however, that it looks like at, least in browsers,
freezing the window or even any single property on it will no longer be
an option in the future. I believe the technique used by SES (correct me
if I'm wrong) is using is more complex than simply freezing the window
(though I believe it does freeze every property recursively from there).
Something like shadowing all whitelisted global names and preventing any
kind of direct access to the window object at all. This requires some
amount of source code sandboxing to accomplish.