Identifying ECMAScript identifiers

Norbert Lindenberg ecmascript at lindenbergsoftware.com
Thu Mar 7 23:35:08 PST 2013

ECMAScript is used to implement a variety of tools that check code for conformance with the ECMAScript specification, minimize it, perform other transformations, or generate ECMAScript code. These tools have to be able to recognize ECMAScript identifiers, taking the identifier specification and the underlying Unicode specification into consideration - not quite easy given the ever-growing Unicode character set.

While looking at support for Unicode character properties in general, I realized that this use case is shaped differently from others, fundamental to ECMAScript, and amenable to a fairly simple solution, and so there's now a strawman:
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:identifier_identification

I'd like to discuss this at next week's TC 39 meeting, but also invite earlier comments.

Thanks,
Norbert