Questions/issues regarding generators

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Mar 7 12:58:38 PST 2013

I think the meaning of @@iterator would be clearer if it was named asIterator.  obj.asIterator()/obj[@@iterator]]() is a request to provide an iterator which may be either. obj itself or a new object that provides default iteration behavior for obj.

>>> The problem boils down to the question whether a generator function
>>> should return an iterable or an iterator. The current semantics
>>> (inherited from Python) tries to side-step the question by answering:
>>> "um, both". But as the example demonstrates, that is not a coherent
>>> answer.
>>
>> I think it is pretty clear that the current semantics is that a generator
>> function always returns an iterator.
>
> Well, then it should not have an .iterator method, and for-of should
> note invoke that method. But clearly, that would make it harder to use
> generators with user-defined iteration abstractions.

again, think of it as asIterator...it is coercion method, not a factory.

> But your comment about cloning actually made me think about another
> solution: you can make a generator object _truly_ both an iterator
> _and_ an iterable by defining its .iterator method to be a clone
> method. Importantly, in the normal use case (for-of), that cloning
> would not actually be observable, and could easily be avoided by an
> implementation.

Or, define @@terator such that it return this only on its first call and any subsequent @@iterator calls to that object does a clone (if possible).  The place this would fall down is when an iterator object is passed as a parameter down through a chain of calls that do a @@iterator coercion at each step of the chain.

Alen