Internationalization: Support for IANA time zones

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Mon Mar 4 22:49:35 PST 2013

On Saturday 2013-03-02 10:50 -0800, Norbert Lindenberg wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2013, at 8:46 , Mark Davis ? wrote:
> > The TZDB has the equivalence class {Asia/Calcutta Asia/Kolkata}. They used to have the former as the canonical name (in Zone), but then changed it to the latter. Here is the current TZDB data:
> >
> > zone.tab
> >
> > IN	+2232+08822	Asia/Kolkata
> >
> > asia
> >
> > Zone	Asia/Kolkata	5:53:28 -	LMT	1880	# Kolkata
> >
> > backward
> > Link	Asia/Kolkata		Asia/Calcutta
> >
> > Because of the Link, both are valid and equivalent.

> That breaks if/when the tz database removes Asia/Calcutta from its Link list and other systems using IANA names stop supporting (or never start supporting) that name.
>
> I still think the stability issue should be addressed in the IANA time zone database itself, not by adopting a IANA-derived alternate registry. Has that been tried?

In http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2013-March/018697.html the
maintainer of the timezone database wrote (in reference to this
discussion):
  # That discussion seems to be predicated on the assumption that
  # tz zone names can and do "disappear", but they don't.  For example,
  # we renamed Asia/Calcutta to Asia/Kolkata, but kept the old name
  # as an alias for the new one.

So I think from their end, the "stability issue" is considered
addressed.  Is that not sufficient?

-David