Internationalization: Support for IANA time zones

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Sat Mar 2 08:11:14 PST 2013

Re: CLDR names being “better” than tzdb names.

I’m uncomfortable using the CLDR names, although perhaps they could be aliases, because other standards use the tzdb names and we have to be able to look up the tzdb names.  It might be nice to get more stability for the tzdb names, like aliases or something.

Re: UTC vs Tz names

Sometimes UTC might be “enough”, or “almost enough”, but there’s a big difference between Pacific Time and UTC-8, because sometimes it might be UTC-7.  So just using UTC doesn’t really help formatting (people want something they’re familiar with), and it doesn’t really solve describing the TZ, because at a different time of the year that offset might be different.

-Shawn