Internationalization: Support for IANA time zones

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Mar 2 02:10:00 PST 2013

​here are two different issues:

Zone - what we do in CLDR solves the issue. All implementations should, and
as far as I know, do, accept all of the valid TZIDs. Because we use
existing valid TZIDs as the canonical form, even tho​ugh they are not the
same as in the Zone file, it all works. And we in EcmaScript can reference
the CLDR IDs without requiring the use of any of the localization data;
they are maintained in the timezone.xml file, eg:

http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/tags/release-22-1/common/bcp47/timezone.xml

We have also developed and maintain the short unique IDs that you see
there, so that the Olson TZIDs can be used in locale tags.

Disappearing IDs. Yes, the best that can be done for that is to keep any
old ones despite what the IANA registry does, and deprecate them. That's
also what we do in BCP47 with disappearing ISO codes (ugg). The downside
here is that a different implementation of the IANA timezone APIs may drop
support for the old ones. So we have to decide whether that is a
requirement of implementations or not.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*