Classical inheritance is obsolete

Eric Elliott eric at ericleads.com
Sun Jun 30 15:09:50 PDT 2013

"I don’t think you appreciate how hard it was to reach the consensus for
ECMAScript 6 classes (lots of incredibly long, incredibly passionate
discussions!)"

I do appreciate it, and I bit my tongue for much of it, but as the idea of
class in JavaScript has been catching on more in the last couple of years,
I'm starting to see the effects of that mental shift more and more in real
world code-bases, and the problems I thought I left in Java land more than
a decade ago are haunting me every day again in the workplace. The more my
coworkers ask about how to get around these problems, the more I'm
convinced that class in JavaScript is a really bad idea.

I understand that a lot of people have invested in it, but the number of
people who invested time in the design of the JavaScript language pales in
comparison to the number of people who will use it. And that's what
motivates me to speak out about it.

- Eric