Classical inheritance is obsolete

Eric Elliott eric at ericleads.com
Sun Jun 30 15:03:48 PDT 2013

"JS is a rich language that allows different styles of programming. Nothing
wrong with that."

What's wrong is that when we give people `class` and `extends`, books and
blog posts everywhere will begin to teach that this is how we do
inheritance in JavaScript, ignoring all the perils that go with them. The
default style will be a style that frequently leads developers down the
wrong path.

It is a pit of dispair, rather than a pit of success.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/08/falling-into-the-pit-of-success.html

In contrast, we could give developers better sugar around mixins,
prototypes, and functional inheritance, giving them the same ease-of-use
that exists with the `class` keyword, without the dangers.

- Eric