Where'd Promise#done go?

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 10:43:29 PDT 2013

>  I wasn't there when that started, but it feels like "then" organically
> grew out of the experience of using promises a lot which naturally leads to
> promise pipelining.

Terminology nit: if by "promise pipelining" you mean the fact that p.then()
returns a new promise dependent on p, I would call that "promise chaining".
In the two languages that established promises, i.e. Argus and E, the term
"promise pipelining" specifically refers to minimizing network round-trips
to reduce latency when using promises combined with RPCs. See <
http://www.erights.org/elib/distrib/pipeline.html>.

Cheers,
Tom