Standard modules - concept or concrete?

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 06:55:44 PDT 2013

I would think the advantage of running compile-time checks against the
global object is that it can catch errors that we currently use linters for:

    // OOPS - forgot this line!
    // import { x } from "foo";

    function someRareCase() {
        x(); // Reference error?
    }

That's useful, but it comes at the price of treating the global object as
if it were a static thing, and not dynamic.  From my point of view, though,
a dynamic global object is just how it goes with Javascript.  I think this
kind of static checking should be left to linters, unless we are adopting a
policy of actively discouraging dynamism for the global object.

{ Kevin }