Where'd Promise#done go?

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Tue Jun 18 20:11:26 PDT 2013

From: Mark S. Miller [mailto:erights at google.com]

> I don't understand this. I am onboard with `console.unhandledRejection`/`console.rejectionHandled` and all that for better logging, and with using WeakRef notification to improve the logging yet further. But I don't see how any of this can substitute for the need that .done() serves. I think we will still need .done() in ES7 promises.

While I think I see what you're getting at,  let me play devil's advocate for a bit to draw this out more clearly. Using the sample code from https://github.com/promises-aplus/unhandled-rejections-spec/issues/1:

```js
var rejectPromise;
var promise = new Promise((resolve, reject) => rejectPromise = reject);

promise.then(() => console.log("I only attached a handler for fulfillment"));
// All is OK (A)

rejectPromise(promise, new Error("who handles me?"));
// Nobody sees the error! Oh no, maybe we should crash here? (B)

setTimeout(function () {
    promise.then(undefined, (err) =>console.error("I got it!", err));
    // But if we crashed there, then how would this code ever get run? (C)
}, 5000);
```

Using a `done`-less promise implementation with a unhandled rejections console, we have the flow that:

1. At line (A), all is fine, and the unhandled rejections console is empty.
2. At line (B), the unhandled rejections console contains `Errror: "who handles me?"`. This remains true for the next five seconds.
3. At line (C), after five seconds have passed, the unhandled rejections console becomes yet again empty.

This seems to neatly solve the problem without `done`, at least in my devil's-advocate world. Where's the problem? :)