Translate hook

jbondc at openmv.com jbondc at openmv.com
Tue Jun 18 09:02:15 PDT 2013

I've been reading recently the module discussions and one particular concept troubled me.

I don't understand the motivation behind an on-the-fly 'translate' loader hook that would compile CoffeeScript into JavaScript.
Would every browser have to include a CoffeeScript compiler? Which version?

If just seems like the only result would be more 'web fragmentation' by having browsers with different EcmaScript implementations and different compilers/translators of many different  languages? How is that going to work out?

While I understand the benefits in theory, in practice I get the overwhelming impression that an on-the-fly 'translate' concept is a great way to break the web, not make it any better.

Am I missing something, what problem does it solve?

Jon