Standard modules - concept or concrete?

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jun 8 06:33:17 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Brian Di Palma <offler at gmail.com> wrote:
> The standard modules wiki page (
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:modules_standard ) is
> not clear as to whether what it describes is a concrete proposal and
> that ES6 will include it or it's purely a concept.

ES6 will definitely provide some set of standard modules.  The primary
open questions are (a) what will the modules be named and (b) how
fine-grained will the module split be.

> Is this a prerequisite for static checks in modules ( forbid all
> globals in modules unless explicitly imported )? I'm sure the checks
> aren't as harsh, but I'd love such strictness as it can make tooling
> more powerful and code simpler to understand and follow. The idea that
> you can grab anything from the global object without first importing
> it seems wrong.

The global object will still be accessible in modules.  Of course, you
can create new module loaders with an empty global.

Sam