Standard modules - concept or concrete?

Brian Di Palma offler at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 02:08:32 PDT 2013

The standard modules wiki page (
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:modules_standard ) is
not clear as to whether what it describes is a concrete proposal and
that ES6 will include it or it's purely a concept.

The page does not seem to be linked/mentioned from any of the other
module pages ( at least based on a cursory read of the main module
pages ).

Is this a prerequisite for static checks in modules ( forbid all
globals in modules unless explicitly imported )? I'm sure the checks
aren't as harsh, but I'd love such strictness as it can make tooling
more powerful and code simpler to understand and follow. The idea that
you can grab anything from the global object without first importing
it seems wrong.

Are standard modules the future of built-ins for ES?