JSON Duplicate Keys

François REMY francois.remy.dev at outlook.com
Thu Jun 6 04:51:22 PDT 2013

> The sentence
>
>      If a key is duplicated, a parser SHOULD reject.
>
> is not a change. It is implied by the first statement.

I do not agree. A 'should' authoring requirement is not meant to trigger an
abortion from the execution engine.

For example, the CSS flexbox spec says that an author should not use the CSS
'order' property to convey any semantic meaning, but that doesn't mean the
browser will reject the 'order' declaration if it detects the way it's used
is not semantically valid. A 'should' is nothing more than an advice to the
author, not a requirement per se.