JSON Duplicate Keys

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu Jun 6 04:34:29 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Douglas Crockford
<douglas at crockford.com> wrote:
> The JSON RFC says
>
>     The names within an object SHOULD be unique.
>
> Sadly, there are people in the JavaScript community who interpreted SHOULD
> to mean DON'T HAVE TO. In a perfect world, we would change the SHOULD to
> MUST, but we can't. Interoperability and security concerns demand that we
> specify what happens when keys are duplicated. So we may end up with
> something like this:
>
>     The names within an object SHOULD be unique. If a key is duplicated,
>     a parser SHOULD reject. If it does not reject, it MUST take only the
>     last of the duplicated key pairs.
>
> Does anyone see a problem with this?

SHOULD reject seems too strong given that we know perfectly well we
cannot do that. MAY seems much more reasonable or maybe MUST either
reject or take the last of the duplicated key pairs (decision up to
the parser API specification).

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/