May 21, 22, 23 TC39 Meeting Notes

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Tue Jun 4 06:45:19 PDT 2013

On 4 June 2013 15:31, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Kevin Smith <zenparsing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - The semantics of lexical modules are not really in dispute
>
> This is not correct. Andreas, Dave, and I spend a lot of time working
> on the semantics of lexical modules, and there are significant
> difficulties.  If you get rid of recursion, and if modules cannot be
> exported from other modules, and then imported from, then things are
> easier, but I don't think that's what we want.

I think you are somewhat overstating the difficulties. The only real
problem was in the intersection of "include *" and nested modules and
recursion. We now have neither of the former two, so the problem
wouldn't arise as things stand now. Even adding nested modules would
not pose a problem (although it would make the static semantics
somewhat more complicated).

/Andreas