May 21, 22, 23 TC39 Meeting Notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Jun 3 15:31:25 PDT 2013

Dmitry Soshnikov wrote:
> I see. Yeah.. it looks at least weird (even if not lexical, which,
> yeah -- bad, why still ugly string names?), and I agree it could lead
> to a fundamental mistake since will stick for years until ES7.

The fundamental mistake would be rejecting the detailed rationale for
ES6 modules, in favor of something more verbose and error prone.

Lexical modules can be added, but deferring them does not mean the
current design is "fatally flawed". "Incomplete" I could see, not
"fatally flawed".

And arguing for *only* lexical modules and *requiring* people to
register them manually after declaring them, one by one, is a
user-hostile move that TC39 will not agree to.

So you're left arguing "incomplete", at best.