May 21, 22, 23 TC39 Meeting Notes

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Mon Jun 3 02:02:31 PDT 2013

On 2 June 2013 22:19, Dmitry Soshnikov <dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4.10 Modules
>>
>> STH: Progress since last meeting. Discuss “module naming”, “naming standard
>> modules”.
>> STH: http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:modules
>> STH: Wiki is up to date with the current proposal. Spec is “wiki complete”.
>> Jason Orendorff of Mozilla has worked on flushing out semantic issues. Moz
>> is implementinb parsing of modules.
>> STH: Syntax: Made a couple of changes.
>> A. To support anonymous exports
>>
>>   export default expr;
>>
>>   import $ from ‘jquery’;  // imports default anonymous export
>
> I missed that, and current wiki draft doesn't explain it either, but -- what
> was a rationale of using string literals on imports, and, worth, also for
> module names at define?

Modules won't have lexical scope, they will just be named by (more or
less) arbitrary strings in a single (per-loader) global name space.
That was a change made last November, and some of us (well, me, in
particular) have disagreed with it ever since. You can read up on most
of the pro & con arguments in the recent monster thread starting here:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-April/030165.html

FWIW, I still think this is a fundamental mistake, but it is now
pretty much set in stone. Hopefully, we'll get proper lexical scoping
in ES7.

/Andreas