Frozen Date objects?

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Jul 22 09:42:12 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2013, at 11:05 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>

> I still don't feel like I have a clear answer to two fundamental
> questions when designing DOM specs:
>
> 1. Is it ever appropriate to return Date objects from methods in the
> DOM? If so, in what circumstances. Two cases where we are currently
> considering using Date objects are:

> 2. Is it ever appropriate to return a Date object from a "readonly"
> property.
>

> How about :
>
> 3.  Is it ever appropriate for a DOM API to accept and retain a reference to
> a Date object?

We could even generalize it to:

3. Is it ever appropriate for a DOM API to accept a reference to a Date object.

Even if we just take a snapshot of the value returned by .getTime()
and retain that snapshot, is that really beneficial to taking a
numeric timestamp?

The feedback in this thread seems to indicate "no" on all three?

/ Jonas