Adding [[Invoke]] to address issues with methods called on Proxies

Brandon Benvie brandon at brandonbenvie.com
Tue Jan 29 10:19:23 PST 2013

Responding in this thread since it's a more appropriate place.

1.) It complicates the object model, in that it adds a new internal method
to objects, but it also clarifies it. It falls under the same category as
[[GetP]] and [[SetP]]: they complicate the object model, but they also
clarify it and they are only observable to Proxies. All three are only
observable to Proxies. Proxies are the thing that ultimately complicates
the object model and these are fallout from it, but most of us agree that
Proxies are worth it.

2.) The abstract method Invoke already exists in the spec. This is a thing
that the ES6 spec, with its deferring to prototypal inheritance for some
things previously limited to internal properties, needs. Adding
[[CallProperty]] would probably be a near net-zero change (perhaps a
net-reduction) in total spec complexity, since Invoke already exists in the
spec and is largely subsumed by [[CallProperty]].