Private symbols auto-unwrapping proxies (was: Security Demands Simplicity (was: Private Slots))

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Mon Jan 28 11:52:40 PST 2013

On 28 January 2013 19:45, Tom Van Cutsem <tomvc.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wrote up a strawman on the wiki to summarize the recent debates about
> the interaction between proxies and private symbols:
>
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxy_symbol_decoupled
>
> The page actually lists two proposals, out of which I prefer the second one.
>
> If I forgot some benefits/drawbacks of either approach, please speak up.

Under the second approach, how can you transparently proxy an object
with private properties _at all_? It seems like you can't, even when
you have access to its private names. In other words, what do you mean
by "inherit the private state of the target", when the target is still
aliased and accessed?

/Andreas