Ducks, Rabbits, and Privacy

Brandon Benvie brandon at brandonbenvie.com
Tue Jan 22 08:13:28 PST 2013

I also agree with everything that Nathan said.

To clarify, there's Symbols and then there's private Symbols. I don't think
anyone in TC39 is suggesting the removal of Symbols in general. Private
Symbols have a much more specific set of uses cases than do just Symbols in
general, and regular Symbols will accomplish the goal of
encapsulation. Regular symbols are only enumerated by a new ES6 function
and are unique. Currently, the only difference between a normal symbol and
a private Symbol is that private symbols are not enumerated by getOwnKeys
and they are slated to eventually be awkward to use with proxies. Otherwise
a normal (aka Unique) Symbol works exactly the same.