Questioning WeakMap.prototype.clear

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Jan 21 16:50:06 PST 2013

On Jan 21, 2013, at 1:55 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> That's why it's important that common patterns, such as the rights
> amplification pattern, which don't actually need the costs of
> ephemeron gc, shouldn't have to pay these costs because of the
> presence of a clear method they don't use.

So what are you proposing, as an alternative?  A third kind of map?

Note that even without the circularity protection provided by ephemerons,  an exclusively weak keyed map still has systemic impacts upon GC and have most of the issues I discussed I discussed in https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-January/028145.html

The clear method seems like it has very little relevance to that discussion, other than its utility in mitigating weak reference gc processing overhead in situations where it is known the entire contents is no longer needed.

Allen