Questioning WeakMap.prototype.clear (was: Private symbols as WeakMap sugar)

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Mon Jan 21 10:51:14 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:

>> if you are really paranoid that somebody is going to do
>>        WeakMap.prototype.clear.call(myWeakMapWithoutClear);
>> then don't expose myWeakMapWithoutClear to untrusted parties or only expose wrapper object that hides the WeakMap as private state.
>
> Please don't speak out of both sides of your mouth in this way.

My apologies to you and to the whole list for this phrasing. It is
offensive and uncalled for. It was your "really paranoid" that set me
off, but that is no excuse. Really, I am sorry.

That said, please let us proceed without being dismissive of imposing
extra costs and hazards on programming securely. It's already hard
enough without these.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM