Security Demands Simplicity (was: Private Slots)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Jan 20 10:01:50 PST 2013

David Bruant wrote:
> Once again, the spec (well... you in that case :-) ) will do whatever
> is necessary to make the feature understandable by spec readers.
> Transpilers will work with whatever is in the language. If they only
> have weakmaps, they'll use that.

See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:harmony, in particular

    Means

 1.
    Minimize the additional semantic state needed beyond ES5.
 2.
    Provide syntactic conveniences for:
     1.
        good abstraction patterns;
     2.
        high integrity patterns;
     3.
        defined by desugaring into kernel semantics.

We aim to unify the "spec problem" and the "transpiler problem" where
possible. Not always, not necessarily by spec-by-desugaring. But we
don't want magic in the spec that leaves transpilers falling into the
tarpit, if we can avoid it.