Security Demands Simplicity (was: Private Slots)

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sat Jan 19 18:36:23 PST 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> Something was nagging me from the 2011-era debate over private symbols vs. weak maps, and that's the ability of a weak map to implement soft fields on frozen objects. Symbols (private or not) can't do that.
>>
>> Not sure this matters in the current proxy-focused thread, but I thought I would point it out explicitly.
>
> It seems like at the root of this question revolves around what you mean by a "frozen object".
>
> In ES5 there is no such concept.  There really is only the Object.freeze/Object.isFrozen functions.  These are defined operationally in terms of specific constructs that exist in ES5.  There really is no guidance in those definitions as to how they should be extended when when new constructs are added to the language.
>
> Also, the effect obtained by applying Object.freeze to an object isn't a fundamental characteristic of an object.  The exact same effect can be achieve by a combination of other calls and Object.isFreeze will still report true.
>
> Who's to say that a symbol keyed object can't be added to an object after Object.freeze has been applied to it.

Me. We've been over this. With the semantics you suggest, sharing an
immutable object and an immutable Symbol opens a communications
channel. That is why the private symbol freeze exemption exempted
private-symbol-named properties from the non-writability and
non-configurability of freeze, but only for properties that were
already there. Private symbols must not be exempt from
non-extensibility, or you get an unpluggable channel.

WeakMaps don't have this problem because you can only add a key to a
mutable weakmap. We can account for the mutablity in terms of
explicitly mutable state. An immutable weakmap, easily achieved by a
trivial wrapping of a weakmap, allows lookup but no further additions,
thereby not opening up a communications channel. And weakmaps don't
need magic exemptions, partial or otherwise.

>  Before we can say that we have to define the semantics of symbol keyed objects and possibly extend Object.freeze/isFrozen to accommodate those new semantics. What's the guidance for doing so?  What abstract concept of "frozen" do we to apply to the semantics of new language features?

Let's start with support for ocap reasoning. Or even info flow
reasoning for that matter, which is sufficient for the above issues.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM